Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Winslow Homer (1836-1910)

Last Saturday, I spent the day at the Homer and Hopper exhibit in the Art Institute. I'm not a big Hopper fan, so these are some of the Homer watercolor/oil paintings I enjoyed best. I was surprised to find out he was self-taught and am simply amazed at the variety in his watercolor technique and progression over the years. I plan to see the exhibit again very soon.

The Fog Warning, has been a favorite of mine for years, and I've been priviledged to see it many times as it resides permanently in the Art Institute. His more popular oil painting, of course, is The Herring Net, which is also beautiful.

Flamborough Head (below), graphite with white opaque watercolor was my absolute favorite. The face detail is exquisite in person. I stared at this one for quite some time.

















A Summer's Night
The Watcher. Homer repeatedly returned to the theme of children and women waiting for their loved ones.
The Water Fan. From his trip to the Bahamas. I love these contrasting colors and the reflection of the waterpale.
This isn't Homer, but I have always been struck by this 1628 painting by the Dutchman Hendrick Terbrugghen, The Denial of St. Peter. I loved seeing it again, especially now during Great Lent. Look how dramatic the firelight is, and Christ being led away in the far right corner. Digital Camera does not do this justice.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Let me know if you would like two small children and one adult to accompany you on your next trip. (Seriously. I've thought of going, but am scared to tackle alone!)

kuecks said...

I just read this again and realized that you said you're not a big Hopper fan. Whaaaaaaaaaat?!